Hackney WickED Art Festival 2010
Smokehouse Gallery along with various galleries and studios around Hackney Wick & Fish Island, is opening the doors to everyone for 3 days of art and events.
MEDIA LAUNCH EVENT at Smokehouse Gallery on Friday 30 July, opening with drinks and canapés at 6pm; speeches 7pm and walking tours of nearby studios.
Smokehouse will be open:
Friday 6pm to 9pm Saturday & Sunday 12 to 6pm
Special events along with August’s exhibition in the Smokehouse
Sunday, 1st August,12 – 3:30pm
Kids Event – The Drawing Olympics
At Formans Smokehouse Gallery, artists Isobel Manning and Hayley Potter will be running drop-in workshops, drawings will be made on recycled plywood artist’s tiles, supplied by E Abrahams & Co Ltd. For ages 4 and 14 years. The finished tiles will be displayed in the space, and judged by a famous local artist with prizes!
Sunday, 1st August,12 – 3:00pm
Guided tours around the area, making valuable connections between art and community.
Artist & Event Highlights around the area
• Three-day programme full to the brim with art, music, pop up events.
• Gavin Turk as festival patron in Agile Rabbit show at The Lighthouse Pub.
• 624 studios and more artists per capita in Hackney Wick than anywhere else in the world.
• Live music stage in Queen’s Yard from 3-11pm all weekend.
• Fete for the WickED brings culinary delights, art stalls and market.
• Cabaret and comedy at the Peanut Factory Stage by Tax Deductible & The Hive.
• Graffiti Jams throughout the Wick
follow on Twitter.
• ‘The Education Team’ working with schools in the community:
Teachers V Kids boat races.
• Art treasure hunts for kids and adults by Alice James.
• Harry’s infamous Coracle Regatta on Sunday 2-6pm at Eton Mission Rowing Club.
• Closing party Sunday with carnival procession and burning of the Wicker Man.
Hackney WickED is back and you better get ready! The creative hotspot of East London is preparing to open hidden doorways leading to warehouse live-work studios for a unique chance to explore grassroots art and talent. Galleries will showcase specially curated exhibitions for the WickED and the plethora of performance artists, photographers, dancers, film-makers, painters, sculptors and musicians will be enticing you to get involved.
Hackney Wicked Art Festival is “the most vital art event of the summer” (NY Arts), and is expanding year on year. Come for the art; come for the laughs; come for the minted-pea ice cream… but make sure you do come and experience the best of what the ‘wrong side of the Olympic fence’ has to offer.